I work at De Montfort University in Leicester, UK, where I am Professor of Education and Technology.
At DMU, I am a member of the Steering Committee for the Institute for Research in Criminology, Community, Education and Social Justice, a member of the Centre for Urban Research on Austerity, and a Research Associate in the Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility. I supervise PhD students, and teach on undergraduate modules on evidence-based teaching and learning, research methods, and historical and contemporary issues in education.
I am also an AdvanceHE National Teaching Fellow.
My research interests include:
- the idea of the University and radical alternatives to it;
- the place of co-operative practice and mass intellectuality in addressing and moving beyond crises;
- the University and the Triple Crunch (of socio-environmental crisis, energy availability, and the secular crisis of capitalism);
- alientation, hopelessness and academic ill-being;
- technology and critical social theory.
I can be found on SKYPE/TWITTER/YouTube as hallymk1.